Wisdom to Heed
A compendium of proverbs, sayings and expressions deployed within the family for purposes general and specific.
- “A man thinks with his generation.” – My father.
- “Nothing is so permanent as that which is temporary” – J.P. Figa, my old boss.
- “Scratch a liberal, strike a pig.” – My father.
- “Memory is an act of the imagination.” – Uncle Sam, age 95.
- “If you can convince somebody that white bread is food, you can convince him of anything.” – Amiri Baraka, as heard by my father.
- “Never wise up a chump.” – My father.
- “The important thing is to avoid being crushed under the wheel of history.” – My father.
- “Poverty is not a virtue.” – My father.
- “No Culture without Agriculture.” – Goviya Mudiyanse Tennekoon
- “God saves who He wills and thrashes the rest.” – Uncle Pat
- “Don’t raise a child you can’t live with.” – The late great J.B. Graham
- “Walk fast, nobody’ll notice.” – Grandpa Gene
- Application: wardrobe malfunctions, bad haircuts, etc.
- “Rich or poor, it’s good to have money.” – Grandpa Jules
- “Der Dreidel Dreitzach.” – Grandpa Jules
- Yiddish for “The wheel turns.” Quite likely misspelled.
Warning: Bin Gregory Productions cannot be held responsible for consequences arising from failure to heed all this wisdom.
- “Youth is wasted on the young.” – My father, attributed to George Bernard Shaw.
- “Tough sledding when there’s no snow.” – Grampa Gene
- “The city, yes. The country, maybe. The suburbs, never.” – My Father
- After decades of city living, Dad did in fact move to the country to start farming. Evidently I misheard this one growing up and moved out of the country instead.
- “The man with the plan always wins.” – The late great J.B. Graham
- “Follow the path that has heart.” – The late great J.B. Graham
- “You just have to make sense to your own damn self.” – The late great J.B. Graham
- “All wisdom comes from experience, and all experience comes from foolishness.” – My Father
- “Ain’t no fun unless the job’s done.” – My Father
- Ok, actually it is Flavor Flav, but I can’t exactly credit him when I’m dispensing wisdom to my children, can I?
Additional wisdom for the ages will be preserved at the top of the list as circumstances warrant.